Thursday, June 07, 2007

It's A Good Day To Be These People

It's June, which means many high schools and colleges (at least those on the quarter system) are coming to an end in the coming weeks. I mention this because last night I had that recurring dream where I'm back in college and it's finals week; and I find out that I was somehow enrolled in a class that I never attended and my exam is the next day. Usually when I have this dream, I'm rushing to the student store to find the books for the class to cram for my test. This time, instead of going to the bookstore, I just headed to administrative office and dropped out of school. I'm no dream analyst, but that can't be good. Anyway, congratulations to all the graduating seniors out there on what you've accomplished thus far. Here are some other people deserving of congratulations for their efforts:

Congratulations to Trevor Hoffman on notching his 500th save. Hoffman is an inspiration to pitchers everywhere that a fastball that surpasses 88 mph isn't necessary to record 3 outs before surrendering 3 runs...

Congratulations to Arizona Wildcats pitcher Taryne Mowatt who battled an unfortunate acne breakout to blank the Tennessee Volunteers 5-0 and deliver the Wildcats the softball national championship. Further congrats to Deadspin commenters for finding her MySpace page and the comment from her sister...

Congratulations to the Anaheim Ducks on winning the Stanley Cup. Now if I'm ever on a sports trivia game show, there might be one hockey question that I can answer correctly...

Congratulations to Ana Ivanovic (pictured) on defeating Maria Sharapova in the semifinals of the French Open. Always nice to see a fresh face on the tour. Especially one that seems to enjoy posing for photoshoots and calendars.

Congratulations to the kids being selected at this moment in the MLB Amateur draft. I hope to actually care about some of your names in two or three years...

Congratulations to the NBA for electing to actually play the NBA Finals. I was beginning to wonder if Stern elected to end the season with LeBron's ascendancy to the throne...

As for the NBA Finals, I think it's going to be closer than a lot of people think. Or at least closer than those people who think it won't be close at all. The Spurs' team defense should win out in the end, but every game will be a battle. The Cavs haven't lost a game at home in the playoffs yet, but SA also hasn't had to go 7 games either. Something has to give, and I think it will be the Cavs home court dominance. The highlight of the series will come when Manu Ginobili comes off of a pick, collides with Anderson Varejao, and both players end up on opposing sidelines, 50 feet apart.
Spurs in 6.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home