Saturday, March 18, 2006

Don't Call It a Comeback


Note: if reading about poker bores you, save your time and skip this entry...

I spent another wild Friday night playing some Full Tilt Poker, and once again it was profitable. I played the 9 PM pst No Limit Hold 'Em tourney, which had 178 entrants. The top 18 places paid, but with 35 players left, I took a beat and found myself down to my last 480 chips with blinds at 100/200. In other words, I was screwed. So, just looking to pick a spot to take a shot, I went all-in with A4o from the cutoff. The big blind called me and turned over K4. My ace high held up and I doubled my chips, but I still only had about 5 times the big blind. Two hands later, I was holding AQs and went all-in again and was called by a player holding 66. The flop came A Q A, making it a stress-free race to yet another double up. A few hands later, I was in the big blind (blinds were up to 150/300 with a 25 ante) and was dealt 10Jo. There was one raiser, but he only doubled the blind. The button then called, and I called as well. The flop then came A K Q rainbow. Jackpot. I wasn't able to get a triple up out of it, but I did get a very nice boost to my chip total. One round later, I called an all-in holding QQ vs my opponent's JJ for a near double-up. Immediately after that, I had 10J again in the big blind and was able to take out AQ after a J high flop hit the board.

So in the span of about 15 minutes, I went from being on my death bed, to suddenly finding myself with around 15,000 chips, which was enough to actually make some moves on pots from time to time. I was able to manage those chips fairly well, and for the 2nd multi-table tournament in a row, I found myself at the final table. The party finally ended when I had AKo in late position. A player in early position with around 30,000 chips raised triple the blind (6000 total), and I reraised all-in (~18,000) hoping to take the pot right there. The original raiser called and showed a pair of eights. When the board was dealt with no card higher than a 10, my journey was over. I finished in 6th place, which paid enough to be my worth my time.

Now I just need a few more final table finishes, and maybe, just maybe I'll be able to get the deed back to my house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home