Monday, April 16, 2007

Sunday Night Rambling

So...Don Imus is out of a job and MLB put on an ostentatious celebration of Jack Robinson breaking the color barrier. Based on how much media coverage these events received, I can only assume this means that racism in America is now dead, right? Whew, that's a relief. Now we can move on to some of the other problems in our world. Like accelerating global warming so we won't have to deal with six rainouts on a Sunday in the middle of April. C'mon baseball fans of the Atlantic coast- either start driving your SUVs more or be prepared to be forced to watch your teams play in domed stadiums. The choice is yours.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly agree that Robinson's achievements are worthy of celebration, and I was genuinely moved by Ken Griffey Jr's request to wear #42 today. But the domino effect of that request has been for MLB to respond with a series of self-aggrandizing gestures. From my perspective, the focus was shifted away from the struggles and perseverance of Mr. Jack Roosevelt Robinson and instead a spotlight was put on the benevolent people behind MLB and their outreach toward the African-American player. I expect to see Bud Selig wearing a sling tomorrow to help him recuperate from patting himself on the back so much this weekend. But maybe I'm just being too cynical. It wouldn't be the first time.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At Mon Apr 16, 09:49:00 AM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah you're right. It sits uneasily with me how it seemed to become less and less about his achievement and more and more about how amazingly tolerant the MLB is/was.

I felt a bit sick about that.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home