Tuesday, December 06, 2005

The Loch Ness Monster and Robert Swift


Most of the time while flipping through DirecTV, there's the subconscious understanding that I'm really just trying to distract myself from life while I kill time and wait for the next day, when I'll start the cycle all over again. But every now and then, the surfing brings a special moment that actually enriches my life, lifts the spirits and makes me whole. I had such a moment tonight.

I was casually flipping through the NBA games, which had little significance to me since I had no action on tonight's slate. I happened upon the Sonics/Knicks game when I caught the rarest of sights. Robert Swift was going to the scorer's table to check into the game. This sighting put me in such an elite group of people- this was like catching a glimpse of Bigfoot. In fact, these were to be Swift's first minutes of the season. Here is what transpired once he walked on the court:

Knicks possession #1: Jerome James beats him on a spin move baseline and lays it in for a basket.

Knicks possession #2: Jerome James beats him on a spin move baseline for a layup that is blocked by help defenders.

Sonics possession #3: Swift misses a putback dunk, rattling it out of the rim.

Not only was it Swift's first minutes, but it was also the first time anyone needed help defense while guarding Jerome James. So much history. And I saw it all.

2 Comments:

At Wed Dec 07, 03:20:00 PM PST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

In case you missed it, there was good reason why Swift was in the game: Reggie Evans couldn't pee: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/basketball/251144_evans07.html

 
At Wed Dec 07, 04:23:00 PM PST , Blogger insomniac said...

That does explain why Swift was in there to start the 2nd half, although I don't think that was a factor in him entering to end the first half.

If Reggie Evans has the kind of performance anxiety that it takes him a half hour to take a piss, then maybe you don't want him on the court for big minutes anyway.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home