Saturday, January 14, 2006

Memoirs of a Couch Potato


There's not much to say about this morning's NFC playoff game. Partly because the play was so lackluster, but also because I was watching the UCLA Bruins and the Washington Huskies play a tale of two halves in Pauley. It looks like the Pac 10 has a lot of solid teams, but no dominant team. For some reason, parity in the Big 10 means everyone is great and 9 should go to the NCAA tournament. But when there's parity in the Pac 10, it means the conference is in a down year, and they'll be lucky to get four invitations to the big dance. Ok, on to the football...

The Redskins were beat up and exhausted coming into the game, and it showed throughout their play the entire game. The game was so boring that near the end of the 3rd quarter, Tony Siragusa decided to interrupt the broadcast to talk about the weather. Congrats to the Seahawks, but let's move on to the AFC...

I'm really impressed by the NFL's committment to the United Way. Prior to the game, both teams went to their local homeless shelter and picked one guy to join their respective organizations. The Broncos chose a younger guy, gave him a jersey and let him play quarterback, while the Patriots took an older guy, gave him an old sweatshirt, and let him coach the whole damn team...

After watching Tom Brady get hit time and time again by the blitzing Broncos defense, I'm suddenly very worried about the five layers of security my Visa card provides me. It might pay to Discover for awhile...

No "619" eye black on him, but great job by Torrey Pines high school alum (San Diego) John Lynch in setting the tone for the Denver D. It was retro night for the Orange Crush...

The next time the Patriots need to borrow a guy from offense to play in the nickel package, they might want to leave Troy Brown on the bench and put Ben Watson in the game. His hustle and hit on Champ Bailey will give every assistant coach a giant woody when they run the tape in team meetings in mini-camps next season...

I didn't see any mention of it- was Champ Bailey's 100 yard return the longest play in NFL history that wasn't a touchdown? For a few fleeting moments it looked like Leon Lett was going to have a little bit of company in the NFL Films archives...

Which would be more embarassing: Being a DB and getting caught from behind by a TE, and turning your touchdown into a touchback, or fumbling when being hit by a punter??
Someone hand Todd Sauerbrun a cup- I think he might still be on some of that Carolina Kool-Aid.

If somebody had to finally beat Bill Belichick, it couldn't happen to a better coach than Mike Shanahan. Oh I'm sorry, I just thought of a better coach. Actually, I just thought of about 24 of them...

Bill Belichick's postgame press conference was exactly like whenever my wife says "we need to have a talk." Just say as few words as possible and bide your time until you can leave...

Crazy shift in tone on ESPN after the game as Sportscenter treats the Patriots defeat as a funeral, whereas on NFL Primetime, Tom Jackson had to keep himself from giggling. I'm a little worried that this game could cause a little bit of a lover's spat between Jackson and Chris Berman...

I went 0-1-1 today, although Seattle was -9.5 at many times during the week. So I'm giving myself a record of 0.5-1-0.5- sure it's a still a losing record, but sadly, half a win is more than I had in my last post, so I'll take it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home