Sunday, January 29, 2006

Saturday Night Fever


I did something really strange today and actually went outside and had a life on the weekend. I was confused and disoriented most of the time, but I survived the experience intact. Now I'm catching up on some games on Tivo. (Yes, I actually Tivo'd 8 hours of hoops today. Yes, I know I have a problem. No, I don't want any help.)

Georgetown is running an offense that big time basketball programs haven't seen in years. They pass the ball around, get everyone involved, move without the ball, and take good shots. I know- it sounds weird, but it's working for them. The Hoyas shot 51.7% from the field en route to beating Cincinnati 76-57. Georgetown, the only team in the Big East to have five players averaging in double digits, was led this time by Jeff Green.
"A lot of people who don't really understand the game equate playing well with scoring points," Hoyas coach John Thompson III said. "And Jeff Green has played well all year for us. Some games he's scored, others he hasn't, but he has played well all year."
Maybe Vince Carter was right afterall...

Thanks to Zach for pointing out the Oregon State cheerleaders' outfits to me. Other than watching Ryan Hollins trying to act tough despite looking like he could star in, "The Crying Game 2: So Many Tears," the Beavers squad in tight black (sorry, couldn't find a pic) were the most entertaining part of the UCLA/OSU game. As for the game itself, my jinx continues as Arron Afflalo struggled again from the field, although he did contribute with 10 rebounds. By the way, the Bruins shot 3-19 from 3 pt land. UCLA would have to make 65 consecutive three pointers to match the same percentage that JJ Redick (8-10) shot from distance Saturday...

Redick's line: 11-13 from the field, 10-11 from the line, 40 points, 4 rebounds, and one assist. That is damn impressive, and well, Kobe-like. Redick scores almost half of his team's points, and is considered the best player in the college game. Kobe does the same thing for the Lakers and is a ball-hog. Has Scoop Jackson written about this yet???

Speaking of ESPN writers, I get almost all of my Boston Celtics news from Bill Simmons. It's not so much that I crave biased, three page rants about teams I could care less about, but rather that I just can't stand listening to Tommy Heinson on the Boston tv coverage. He makes Dick Vitale sound impartial by comparison. So anyway, given that all my influence was from Simmons, I've always thought that Mark Blount was a sorry excuse for a basketball player who could only score if the ball bounced off of his head and into the hoop. But, actually watching him for the Timberwolves against San Antonio tonight, it's obvious that he has some game. He went 9 for 12 from the field, with 6 boards, 2 steals, and 2 blocks. If he can actually be a viable scoring threat in the post, he should be able to open things up for KG. Maybe the Twolves didn't get ripped off afterall???

You know those rotating ad banners that many stadiums have down by the scorer's table? While watching the Spurs' game, I noticed one that said, "I can't jump. But I can cook." Unfortunately, it was a Jack in the Box ad. For a minute, I thought the WNBA had finally found a slogan that I could get on board with!

Oklahoma was very impressive in beating Texas tonight, but good lord, what was going on with the Oklahoma cheerleaders? They were wearing red skirts that were reminiscent of a soccer mom's shorts. Their makeup looked like it was applied by the local trailer park's Avon representative. Then to top it off, they were all wearing baggy white tshirts that are usually reserved for college girls trying to hide their freshman 15. If this is what's become of the Farmer's Daughter, sorry, but I think I'll f*ck the sheep instead...

1 Comments:

At Sun Jan 29, 12:11:00 PM PST , Blogger The Big Picture said...

speaking of white dudes who can play basketball, adam morrison and his moustache scored 30 -- yes, 30 -- in the first half and ended up with 42 in a win over portland state. wow.

thanks for the link!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home