Sunday, January 29, 2006

Work, Work, Work


Ok, so I got the images back onto the main page, but I still haven't been able to get the archives working. I don't know if anyone actually ever clicks on the archives, but still, it would be nice to have.

I'd also like to have the comments page hosted on the new server rather than on blogger's. I'm sure this would be relatively easy if I had half a clue what I was doing. If anyone has any experience moving from blogger to their own server, or knows the code for a comments page that resembles the permanent link page, please leave a comment or hit me up with an email. Thanks.

1 Comments:

At Sun Jan 29, 08:02:00 PM PST , Blogger insomniac said...

Once you have your host set up and get all your FTP info, transferring the front page is a breeze. You just go to Settings-->Publishing and enter your new FTP info. It then just takes all the code from the main page and sends it to the new server as file "index.html." Unfortunately, the archives and images don't transfer over as smoothly. They are all sent to the new server, but there are a lot of broken/orphaned links. I've got the images fixed, but I'm still working on the archives.

Also, once you've transferred the blog to your new server, Blogger deletes your old xxxx.blogspot.com blog and frees up the name. So if you want to keep a page up that redirects readers to the new page, you'll have to re-register your blogger page. Not that big of a deal tho- that just takes a minute.

The other thing to keep in mind is that unless you're using your own pc as the server, your blog will no longer be free to operate. You'll have monthly server fees to pay to whoever you choose to host.

The good news is that you can still use the blogger interface for updating the blog. That aspect remains exactly the same.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home