Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Nightcap

Tonight's Nightcap is being brought to you by Pearl Vodka on the rocks, which at this time of night, just knocks me out. So it will likely be a short nightcap.

Nobody wants to be in Billy Donovan's Five Faves. Anytime a team moves up in the 2-6 standings in the coaches poll, a loss is soon to follow. This weekend, UCLA lost at WVA while ranked #2. Yesterday, Pittsburgh felt guilty about being overrated as the fifth best team in the country and fell to Louisville. Today, it was #4 North Carolina and #6 Texas A&M's turn to add a loss to their record. Fortunately for Wisconsin and Ohio State, they don't play anyone even remotely threatening until they face each other, Feb 25.

Memphis has suddenly found themselves in a really good position towards getting a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament. They've been rolling through the Conference USA schedule and should get some favorable matchups to waltz into the sweet 16. But I just don't know if I can take them seriously as a Final Four contender because with the exception of the Kentucky game, anytime they've played anyone with talent, they've lost. They're the basketball version of the Golden Domers at Notre Dame. Naturally, I'm hoping that if Memphis is a 1 seed, then UCLA gets the #2 seed in their region.

The Lakers lost at home to the Knicks on a last possession lob from Stephon Marbury to Eddy Curry while a giddy Spike Lee taunted Denzel Washington courtside. I think there should be a rule that if you're a team from the West and you're swept by the Knicks over the course of the season, then you are automatically disqualified from making the playoffs.

I don't know about all of you, but I sure am enjoying all of this extra Nascar coverage on SportsCenter now that ESPN has the rights to broadcast their series. It fits in nicely as a bookend to the girls' basketball highlights. Tho if ESPN starts to integrate Rebecca Grant (pictured) more into their racing coverage, I might just have to become a regular viewer.

Speaking of ESPN broadcasts...when the announcers throw it to the sidelines and I'm expecting to see Erin Andrews, but instead I'm greeted by the sight of Holly Rowe- well, needless to say, it's quite a jolt to the system. I didn't know it was physically possible, but I'm pretty sure my dick got whiplash. They really should have provided some sort of warning.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home