Thursday, April 03, 2008

Bobby Knight Is Worse Than Cancer

Former Oklahoma Sooner and NBA power forward Wayman Tisdale is one year into his recovery from a cancerous cyst in his knee. During that time, he has undergone chemotherapy, numerous surgeries, and now requires the aid of a cane when walking. And yet remarkably, this hasn't been the most punishing time of his life. That honor goes to the time he spent with Bobby Knight while preparing for the 1984 olympics:

"I remember my time with Bobby Knight and the Olympic team in 1984. That's what I think about a lot. I didn't think I could push through that. Had I quit then, I probably would have quit now. But I remember the punishment I put myself through then. 'C'mon, man. If I can handle that, I can do this.' "

Tisdale is right. Sure, cancer can kick your ass. But it never calls you a "sunt".

If Knight decides to return to coaching, perhaps he can use this anecdote on the recruiting trail. He can tell parents that if their child can successfully navigate their way through four years with him, then they can successfully navigate their way through anything else in life. Well, except for managing or coaching a professional basketball organization.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At Thu Apr 03, 09:25:00 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The 84 Olympics? Russia boycotted that one, so you know Tisdale wasn't talking about the competition being punishment. Playing with Jordan, Ewing & Mullin and it was a struggle to please Knight? Damn!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home