Monday, January 02, 2006

They Played To Win the Games


Any speculation that losing football teams might emulate the NBA and tank a game at the end of the season to improve their draft status was ended this weekend, as Green Bay, San Francisco, and the New York Jets all won and lost their shot at the #1 pick. The Niners reward for their overtime victory over the Texans was dropping from #1 in the NFL draft to #7. The top 5 picks for the upcoming draft will be:

1. Houston
2. New Orleans
3. Tennessee
4. New York Jets
5. Green Bay

When they weren't busy stroking each other's nuts, Joe Theisman, Paul Maguire, and Mike Patrick briefly discussed the draft; and for the first time in my life, I agreed with something Paul Maguire said. While Reggie Bush is a spectacular player, drafting him won't do much to change the Texans. They just have way too many holes to fill- starting with the offensive line- that Bush alone won't make the impact they need. If another team (Packers?) is willing to make an offer of multiple draft picks, and some viable players for the #1 pick, then Houston needs to listen, even if it means losing a "once in a generation" player. The player that most people compare Reggie Bush to is Gale Sayers. In the five years that Sayers led his team in rushing, the Bears were a combined 29-38-3. Barry Sanders was the most exciting runningback of my lifetime, but his ability alone wasn't enough to take Detroit to a Super Bowl. A dynamic runningback alone isn't enough to transform a team into a Super Bowl contender.

If the goal is to sell season tickets, then the Texans should draft Reggie Bush. If the goal is to win a Super Bowl, then Houston needs to look to trade down from the pick.

2 Comments:

At Mon Jan 02, 07:20:00 PM PST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Believe me, I know where you are coming from ... but playmakers of Bush's caliber are few and far between. If you agree that the Texans will probably not make the jump from doormat to playoff contenter in one year (although in today's NFL, who knows?), then why not take a playmaker who can instantly make your offense a threat, regardless of the OL (see Sanders, Tomlinson, etc), and then use the rest of your draft and the next year to build your team. I would have to see the deals offered - they would have to be real sweet for me to pass up Bush (a couple of high number ones, a starter and more picks).

I guess it depends how good the Texans think Bush is ... if he is as good as I think he is, then I don't see how they can pass him up.

The other part of this conversation is do they believe Carr is the answer. If so, I think that is another reason to take Bush (two very important pieces in place - plus A. Johnson) ... but if they want to start over, then your plan of attack might make more sense.

I'll just wait until you buy your NFL franchise and then we can make these decisions for real!

 
At Mon Jan 02, 08:58:00 PM PST , Blogger insomniac said...

I'm still waiting for Sports Illustrated to contact me with the high paying writing gig. I need a few more wheelbarrows of cash if I'm going to buy an NFL franchise.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home