Monday, July 09, 2007

A Very Late Nightcap

A few thoughts to end the day- or start it, depending on your perspective...

ESPN Classic shows Kiana's Flex Appeal at 4 AM? How long has this been going on, and how did I possibly not know about it? Now I have to check their schedule to see if Bodyshaping is ever on the air anymore. I used to love the thinner blonde on the show. Remember her? She couldn't lift a paperweight, but Cory sure did seem to like her...

I'm a bit late on this, but The M Zone found a very well-reasoned and sobering article about the realities of trying to make a living out of blogging. It doesn't paint a pretty picture for those of us at the bottom of this pyramid scheme. But while the pay isn't great, there are fringe benefits such as searching for videos of a Hooters bikini pageant all in the name of going the extra mile trying to provide a service to readers...

A week ago, ESPN violated a MLB mandate by making the all-star rosters public before TBS had aired their exclusive selection show. As a punishment for their transgression, MLB has told ESPN that it won't be allowed to air it's all-star edition of Baseball Tonight live from the ballpark. I'm not sure that even qualifies as a slap on the wrist, but I'd like to thank Bud Selig nonetheless. I don't think I was prepared to see John Kruk's hair blowing in the San Francisco wind. I think the net effect would be a cross between catching Medusa's gaze and watching the videotape from The Ring...

I have to imagine that right now, there are 31 GMs in contact with Brian Urlacher's agent to make him an offer once he becomes a free agent. The Bears are going to cut him after allegations of harassment and abuse from his baby's momma, aren't they? They cut first, and wait for the judicial system to take its course later. Isn't that the precedent they set with Tank Johnson?

This isn't really sports related at all, but the timing was so uncanny that I think to appease The Fates, I should hand out a link. A couple days ago, for no apparent reason whatsoever, I had images of the old Billy Idol "Cradle of Love" video stuck in my head. Then, lo and behold, earlier tonight, I stumbled across a site called The Friendly Friends which is in the midst of, "The Definitive 1000," the longest countdown endeavor that I'm aware of. They are currently at #986 - The Cradle of Love Girl. It brought back some great memories, and I can only hope that this is just a sign of things to come; and soon I will find myself in the company of a pretty young thing in a bra and short skirt, crawling around on her hands and knees. I'll probably have to head out to a strip club to make it happen, but if that's my destiny, so be it...

Here's another awesome find by the folks at WBRS Sports Blog. That would look great right next to a Mark McGwire endorsed Juiceman Juicer...

In peripheral sports news, both Jose Canseco and Bill Simmons were eliminated from the World Series of Poker in day 1. I imagine Canseco was easy to read as he'd start twitching anytime he got a good hand...

Finally, if you're a UCLA or LSU fan, or perhaps a Trojan with a good sense of humor, you've got to check out the pic at the bottom of this post on Bruins Nation. That image is so amazingly hysterical that it's hard to believe it wasn't staged.

UPDATE: Sunday night there was a transcript of the online chat w/ Andrew Feldman and Norman Chad on ESPN.com. In that transcript, Feldman said that Bill Simmons was knocked out of the World Series of Poker early. However I'm now no longer able to find that link. It looks like it's been replaced by another chat from the World Series today in which Feldman was once again asked if Simmons played. This time his response was:

"Nope, he bailed. K-10 is not a good hand. That is not the last time I will say that."

I dunno. Maybe the first time, Feldman just saw some other Mass guy w/ a backwards cap quoting Rounders and mistakenly assumed it was Simmons.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At Mon Jul 09, 11:05:00 PM PDT , Blogger THN said...

How did you hear about the Sports Dork losing?

 
At Mon Jul 09, 11:54:00 PM PDT , Blogger insomniac said...

So, I just went to look up the ESPN link w/ the Simmons info, and it's been removed. Odd. I've updated the post to reflect that.

 
At Tue Jul 10, 09:55:00 AM PDT , Blogger THN said...

Hmm. Maybe he was told not to say anything. It still sounds like he lost early on a K-10.

 
At Tue Jul 10, 10:12:00 AM PDT , Blogger insomniac said...

K-10 suited is the hand he was holding last year when he was knocked out early, and then whined in a column about how poker sucks now b/c he keeps losing. Feldman was pointing out the same thing that many others have- that while Simmons may have ultimately got unlucky, his play on that hand was very poor and even if he'd won that hand, that sort of playing style likely would have gotten him eliminated soon enough anyway.

 
At Wed Jul 11, 11:33:00 AM PDT , Blogger THN said...

Sounds like, in today's chat, that he's ducking the issue by saying he didn't play. But if Feldman first reported it, that's likely true. Some of my sources indicate that the dork is the kind of guy who will cry to his editors to get bad stuff taken down.

Like blowing another $10K.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home