Friday, September 28, 2007

This Column Is Not Approved by Brian Cook

As I wander through life, I've come to realize that there are a few vices (quite a few actually) that will always have a hold on me no matter how much I'd like to pretend otherwise. Whether it's a double deck game of 21, a 20 year-old tawny port, or a 19 year-old, redheaded stripper, I know that ultimately, resistance is futile. Also making the list is my affinity for betting on the road team in college football, even though it's probably the one sport where home field advantage has the greatest significance. This week, I'm totally succumbing to my weaknesses and taking all road teams. But I don't have any trips planned for Vegas or the Spearmint Rhino this weekend, so at least I've got that going for me.

West Virginia -7 at South Florida
South Florida is a great story, a trendy sleeper pick, and Jim Leavitt is a helluva coach. Unfortunately for the Bulls, all the coaching and preparation in the world doesn't mean much if the opposition is faster than you, and West Virginia has a wealth of team speed. I learned that the hard way last week when I took ECU. I won't make the same mistake twice. I'll make an entirely different mistake instead.

Alabama +2 at Florida State
The way I see it, there's no way Nick Saban loses this game. He's ticked about the loss to Georgia, he's ticked that there's a picture of his niece (reportedly) circulating on the net, and he's ticked that Mike Patrick cares more about Britney Spears' self-destruction than his own rebuilding efforts. My guess is that he hasn't left his office yet this week preparing for this game. Much like Saban's niece, this game might not be pretty, but it will do its part to enhance Saban's image as an arrogant, controlling, bombastic coach who has to impress his will on others at all costs. That might be bad for humanity, but it's great for gamblers.

UCLA +2 at Oregon State, Under 54.5
As Bruins Nation has already detailed extensively, Mike Riley is the perfect coach for UCLA defensive coordinator DeWayne Walker to scheme against. He runs a straightforward, pro-style offense with an immobile quarterback. Until Sean Canfield gets more accurate in the passing game, Yvenson Bernard will be the team's only weapon. The Bruins showed last week versus Washington that their defense does fine when there's only one player to key on. It won't be an impressive victory- because, well, it's Karl Dorrell afterall- but a victory nonetheless.

Oklahoma -23 at Colorado and USC -21 at Washington
Same story on both of these games. OU and Southern Cal are absolutely dominating teams, and until someone shows that they can slow them down, I'm not thinking about betting against them. By the way, I know it's early, but right now a final four of USC, Oklahoma, West Virginia, and the Florida/LSU winner sure does look appealing. I can't wait for those playoffs to start. Oh wait...

YTD: 16-11

(Oh, and to decipher the headline, check out the latest blogger interview that is part of the great series Zach has featured in The Big Picture.)

Labels:

2 Comments:

At Fri Sep 28, 08:58:00 AM PDT , Blogger ms said...

Road Favoriting to BUSTOLAND>>>

M.S.
mushmemoirs.blogspot.com

 
At Fri Sep 28, 09:57:00 AM PDT , Blogger insomniac said...

Yeah, it's going to be a bloodbath.

Btw, shell- very nice site. I'll be sure to check it out more once the caffeine kicks in.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home